The Winds of Change

September 25th, 2013 at 4:46 pm by under Weather

Goodbye

Every night, you tune in to get your detailed weather forecast, whether from your family room, your kitchen, or maybe from the garage.   Maybe your favorite meteorologist becomes a part of your family, then all of a sudden, they might be gone without little mention on tv as to why.

You deserve more than that, and this is the purpose of my last blog post for WANE TV as my wife and I have decided to move back to Oklahoma.   After a year of raising Jacob, we know we need help as we expand our family and we can only do this by moving back to where our roots are.

Maybe you didn’t care for my style.  Maybe you were tired of my references to my storm chasing experiences in the Southern Plains.   That experience has hands down, made me a much better severe weather expert, since I have stood in front of live tornadoes, able to compare them to what they actually looked like on radar.  Even though we had no significant tornadoes in the last 3 years, I firmly believe it is only a matter of time before this area sees a significant tornado.   Maybe it’s next month, maybe next year, maybe in 10 years, but it will happen.

Maybe you liked my style and my presentation.   For that, I thank you and I want to let you know that I love what I do and I try each and every day to get the forecast as accurate and as precise as possible.   If I completely missed it, I hope you heard me apologize on air as I do hold myself accountable each and every day.  Trust me, nobody takes it more personally when it rains when it is not supposed to.

So, what’s the next step for me?   This broadcast industry is unique that openings are very rare and I am so lucky that there was an opening back in OKC.  (Luck is where preparation meets opportunity, right?)  Starting next week, I will be the newest member of the First Alert Weather Team at KOCO-TV in Oklahoma City.

Again, thank you for your time over the last three years.

Sincerely, Jonathan

PS:  If you haven’t had a root beer shake from Zesto yet, or been to Pine Lake, put these on your short list.

27 Responses to “The Winds of Change”

1. Jodi Walters says:

Thank you for making the weather forecast interesting and fun. Your sense of humor is very enjoyable. Good luck in your new position, God bless you and your family. You will be missed.

2. John says:

You’ll be missed. I truly enjoyed your blog posts. Best of luck to you.

3. Sandy says:

Sorry to see you go, good luck. Who will they get to replace you?

4. Delores Zelt says:

It has been a pleasure having you here in Fort Wayne for the last 3 years but I do understand where it is great to be near families when raising little ones. Wishing you the best in your next endeavor.

5. Lisa says:

We are truly sorry to see you go. My husband and I are JEEP fans and have often said we would like to invite you out wheelin with us. Of course we let life get in the way and now it is to late. Enjoy your new job and really enjoy having family around to help raise those wonderful children. As a Grandma I really do love the fact that I am close enough to be a part of their lives. TRAVEL SAFE and GOOD LUCK to you and your family! We look forward to seeing you on KOCO when we are in the area!!

6. Toby says:

I have enjoy your forecast and blog page. You will be miss but you get to go back to Oklahoma!! Good luck to you and your family.

7. Charles/Daniel says:

Jonathan we teased you one time by calling the station and letting you know we were that Famous Moonshiner “Popcorn Sutton” We have loved your forecast, we our both going to miss you, continued good wishes to you and your family.

Charles and Daniel

8. Vickie says:

Jonathan, I have really enjoyed your broadcasts over the years. It hardly seems like it’s been three years. Your experience as a storm chaser always made me more comfortable during severe weather. Good luck to you and your family in Oklahoma. You will be missed.

9. Jill says:

You will be missed. I have enjoyed your forecast. Best wishes in OKC.

10. Kirk says:

The only news station I watch is Wane TV.. Your forecasts although not always accurate have been informative none the less. Mother Nature simply can’t be accurately predicted. I’ve live in New Mexico and been through Oklahoma many times. I wish you and your family the best now and in all your future endeavors.

11. Laura says:

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck in Ok. You will be missed. And good luck with expanding your family!

12. Ron says:

Sorry to see you go. I enjoyed watching your forecast especially when we were having bad weather(learned a lot). Going to be hard to replace you with someone that has your knowledge and experience with severe weather.
    Good luck in the future.

13. Yvonne Greenfield says:

Jonathan , you will be greatly missed. I’ve enjoyed watching you. You are good enough for THE WEATHER CHANEL!!!! Hope someday to see you there. Good luck to you and your family. Stay safe!!!

14. Jeanne Tyler says:

So sorry to see you go Jonathan but I totally understand. I wish you and yours the very, very best and you will be a terrific asset to KOCO! You will surely be missed…….safe journey

15. Deb says:

Best wishes to you and your family and you will be missed by the wane viewing area

16. Lisa says:

Best of luck to you. I truly have enjoyed watching your forecasting the weather. You will be missed!! :-)

17. Jay says:

Thank You Jonathan, You have done a Great job!! God Bless

18. Jas says:

Thank you for all u have done for our weather system and our community, you will be missed , good luck in Oklahoma and god bless!!

1. Jeanne says:

NO-O-O-O-O!!!! You can’t leave, Jonathan! You’re the best weatherman Fort Wayne has ever had…..EVER!!! And I depended on your forecast. I selfishly want you to stay. But I sincerely wish you the best…family first. Our great loss is KOCO’s gain. You will be missed more than you know.

19. Lori says:

take care – thanks for all the great sunny days

20. Jennifer Crickmore says:

You were very good on TV… I think Fort Wayne grew to trust you. It’s sad that you are leaving, but I’m happy you’re moving home… there’s no place like home. :)

21. Lali says:

Jonathan, we want to wish great luck to you and your family as you move onto your new life adventure. We also want to tell you you have always been the one we turn to for our weather forecast. We love listening to your weather knowledge. We will miss you, but maybe see you in the future on the Weather Channel!

22. debra says:

sorry to see you go .Hope your family all get to gather better than mine. I will really miss you!

23. Linda says:

Dearest Jonathan, I am so happy for you to be able to return to Oklahoma with your family (although I wish it was Minnesota). You are a very talented meteorologist and you get it right more often than most! Of course I might be a bit opinionated because I am your mother. Dad and I are so proud of you and are sending our best to you as you move on to another phase in your life.

Love, Mom

24. Wishing you and your family the very best! Wane TV is our news channel and you are a wonderful
    weather forecaster. We will miss you!

25. Sharon says:

So sorry to hear that you are leaving WANE. It is the only channel that we watch for our news and weather. We have come to rely on your predictions, even though not always entirely accurate. You are correct in saying that you have always said something and apologized when not entirely correct. I thank you for that. Also, thank you for letting the viewers know about your relocation.

Best wishes for you and your family on your move. I very much understand wanting to be close to family. We have children and grandchildren not in Fort Wayne and understand the need to be close to family.

26. Vicki Bogardus says:

Jonathan Conder I heard the GREAT news – had to check it out to make sure it was true. So very happy you and your family will be back in Oklahoma.

Welcome Home!!!